Please see below for the steps you need to take when requesting to transfer course and contact the Student Experience and Information Team with any questions.
Step 1 - Academic Approval
The first step when transferring course is to obtain academic approval. Please see below for a list of the types of academic approval needed for different courses:
- Different programmes within the Faculty of Science and Engineering e.g. 1st Year Aerospace Engineering to 1st Mechanical Engineering - You will need to contact the relevant Admissions Tutor within the programme who will discuss whether they would be comfortable with you transferring from an academic perspective. Please contact us for the relevant Admissions Tutor contact details.
- Different courses outside of the Faculty of Science and Engineering - e.g. 1st Year Chemical Engineering to 1st Year History. You will need to contact the relevant Student Support Team for the course you are interested in to seek guidance and approival from the Admissions Tutor. If you are struggling to find their contact details, contact us. Please then return your transfer form and academic approval to our Team.
- BEng to MEng - If you maintain a year average above 55% during Year 2 you’ll be invited to transfer on to the MEng programme after you get your results in the summer. You will not be able to transfer any earlier than this. Please see our MEng Transfer page for more information.
- Integrated Science Masters - If you are interested in transferring to an Integrated Science Masters please contact us for guidance. Examples of these transfers include Phys to MPhys, Chem to MChem etc.
- Year in Industry - Please contact the Faculty Employability Team if you're interested in transferring to a Year in Industry programme. Once you have spoken with them please contact us for guidance on the transfer process. You will need to obtain a 55% year average in Year 1 and have no re-sits in August, in order to remain on the programme. If a student is required to repeat failed modules, transfers will only be permissible upon confirmation of progress to the subsequent year.
- Year Abroad - Please contact the Faculty Employability Team if you're interested in transferring to a Year Abroad programme. Once you have spoken with them please contact us for guidance on the transfer process. You will need to obtain a 55% year average in Year 1 and have no re-sits Year 2 in order to remain on the programme.
- Foundation Year Transfers - If you obtain the minimum criteria needed to pass Foundation Year and the core modules for the specific degree scheme you are interested in then you are able to transfer without speaking to an Admissions Tutor. Please refer to the Foundation Year Part 2 Handbook to check which modules are core for different degree schemes.
Step 2 - Financial Check
It is very important you check the financial implications transferring course.
Student Finance - If you receive a Tuition Fee and/or Maintenance Grant/Loan from the Student Loans Company, it's vital you speak with Money@CampusLife before submitting a transfer request. They have a very helpful advice page which might answer some of your questions.
Sponsored Students - If you are sponsored student, your request will be sent to your sponsor for approval before the Faculty submits your request.
Step 3 - International and EU Student Visa Check (if applicable)
If you are an international or EU student with a Student Route visa, you will need to contact the International@CampusLife Team to discuss the CAS and visa implications of transferring course.
Step 4 - Submit Forms
If you wish to go ahead and request to transfer course, you will need to:
- Complete a Transfer Request Form 22/23 and return this to StudentSupport-ScienceEngineering@swansea.ac.uk from your student email account, or in person to Reception. Forms sent from personal email accounts will not be accepted.
- Provide written confirmation from the appropriate academic/admissions staff member for the course you wish to transfer to (if applicable).
- If you are an international or EU student with a Student Route visa, you will also need to complete a Previous Study and Personal Statement Questionnaire along with your Transfer Request Form.
If you have any questions about transferring your course please do not hesitate to contact the Student Experience and Information Team for guidance.