Welcome to the MSc Health Care Management. My name is Heather Davies and I am the programme director for the course. This is by way of introduction to the programme and to offer you some information you may wish to have before you come in for your first day.
Below you will find a timetable for the MSc Health Care Management Programme induction session and an outline of our first day.
Finally there are some reading lists. These are just for guidance as some students like to start their reading before the programme commences. If you are not one of these students that is fine too though there will be plenty of reading to be done once you on the programme and thinking about assignments.
If you have any questions before you attend for the first day please contact me
We are looking forward to meeting you.
Dr Heather Davies Programme Lead, MSc Health Care Management
Some students are keen to hear about reading lists before they start the programme. If this is you then this information is for you. This is just an introduction to the reading and there will be more texts, papers and websites shared with you as you get going with the modules. Modules for the first term are;
SHQM43 (Full time and Part time students - Tuesdays) Theory and Practice of Leadership and Management in Health and Social Care
SHQM37 (Full time students - Thursdays) Organising Health Care
SHQM40 (Full time students - Thursdays) Social, Cultural and Economic Context of Health
Reading lists for these modules are as follows:
SHQM43: Theory and Practice of Leadership and Management in Health and Social Care
- Britnell, M. and Arbor, A. (2015). In search of the perfect health system. Proquest Publishing.
- Gopee, N. (2017). Leadership and Management in Healthcare. Sage, Los Angeles.
- Greenhalgh, T (2018). How to implement evidence-based healthcare. Wiley Blackwell.
- Grol, R. (2015). Improving patient care: the implementation of change in health and social care. Wiley Blackwell.
- Hartley, J. Bennington, J. (2010) Leadership for healthcare, Policy Press: Bristol
- Hewitt-Taylor, J. (2013). Understanding and managing change in Healthcare: a step-by-step guide. Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
- Linsley, P. (2019). Evidence-based practice for nurses and healthcare professions. Sage, Los Angeles.
- McKee, L. Ferlie, E. Hyde, P. (2008) Organizing and reorganizing : power and change in health care organizations. Palgrave Macmillan: London
- Mullins, J. (2013) (10th edition.) Management and organisational behaviour, FT Publishing: New Jersey
- Ovretveit, J. (2014). Evaluating improvement and implementation for health. Open University Press.
- Palfrey, C. Thomas, P. Phillips, C. (2012) Evaluation for the real world : the impact of evidence in policy making ,Policy Press: Bristol
- Walshe, K. and Smith, J. (2016). Healthcare Management, McGraw-Hill/Open University Press
SHQM40 Social, Cultural and Economic Context of Health
- Black N (2017) Understanding Health Services. MacGraw-Hill Education, Open University Press
- Cockerham W.C. (2012) Social Causes of Health and Disease, 2nd Edition, Cambridge, Polity.
SHQM37 : Organising Health Care
- Blank, R.H., Burau, V.D. and Kuhlmann, E. (2018). Comparative Health Policy (Fifth edition), Dawson Books.
- Mintzberg, H. et al (2009) Strategy safari : the complete guide through the wilds of strategic management. (2nd ed.) FT Prentice Hall: New Jersey