Whilst all of the Semester 1 January 2021 alternative assessments will be completed online and there will be no in-person assessments, we advise that you prepare for and approach these alternative assessments in the same way that you would normally revise for exams. Even for those who are working completely online for Semester 1, there is still lots of academic support available to help you revise and prepare.
All teaching staff have designated office hours during the week where students are encouraged to drop in to discuss lecture content, request assignment feedback or to raise any academic issues that they have. Office Hours will be running online via Zoom until further notice. You can find out when an academic's Office Hour is via the relevant Canvas module page or by asking the academic staff directly via email.
Each student is assigned a Personal Academic Mentor (previously known as Personal Tutors) with whom they meet throughout the year in a series of compulsory individual and group sessions. Your Personal Academic Mentor is there to provide support and encouragement to achieve your academic potential and as an individual academic contact for every student.
- The Centre for Academic Success is offering bookable online 1:1 sessions via Zoom to help with maths and statistics topics.
- There are also a number of online resources available on the Canvas College of Engineering Community page including:
- HELM – Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics Workbooks
- SIGMA – Summary sheets covering key areas in Mathematics
- Lecture Notes – For the engineering analysis modules
- Links to external sites
- MathCentre contains a range of support, worksheets, that you can work through to teach yourself, or use an aid. Please see their website for further information: http://www.mathcentre.ac.uk/courses/
- The College IT team has prepared a Software for CoE Students Guide, and are also available to help. If you have any questions about accessing or installing software and cannot find the information you need in the guide, please email them directly at EngineeringIT@swansea.ac.uk
- There are also a number of online resources available to help you with the use of Engineering-specific software on the Canvas College of Engineering Community page.
- The Centre for Academic Success has a number of resources on their webpages, and are also offering bookable online 1:1 Zoom sessions to help with academic writing.
- The Library has created a guide to accessing online library resources and support (and in Welsh) to supplement the usual subject support and referencing guides. In addition, the Engineering and Sport and Exercise Science Subject Librarians are available through Live Chat and are also offering online 1:1 Zoom sessions to help with research and referencing (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm). To access the resources guide or contact the Library Team via email, live chat or to make a Zoom appointment, please go to the Engineering Library page or the Sport and Exercise Science Library page.
To help you prepare for new ways of working next year, the University has created a Remote Learning Guide, with advice on using Zoom, learning online and a help section on home WiFI and Broadband connection.
The Centre for Academic Success has also prepared a number of online Study Skills resources.