Coronavirus Recovery: advice and latest information

Our Employment Zone includes opportunities for temporary and part-time work.

Download our leaflet:

In broad general terms, the University’s guidelines are that full-time undergraduates should work no more than 15 hours a week, and that postgraduate students should work no more than 6 hours during the working week. Please take time to read full details of the student employment guidelines here.


See the TARGET Jobs website for advice, hints and tips on finding and applying for part-time paid work - scroll down the page to “Part-time work”.

Local Press

Jobs are advertised in the Wednesday edition of the South Wales Evening Post (available in the Library) and on their website at


In general, over half of all jobs are found through networking rather than advertisements or recruitment consultancies.  The basic principle is simple – it’s about talking to people and building your list of personal contacts through family, friends, social activities, online networking sites etc. See hints and tips on our networking page.

Ask around.  Many local businesses like supermarkets, shops, bars and restaurants often put cards or posters in their windows or premises, especially in locations where lots of people pass by - always take copies of your CV and covering letter with you.  Practise a “1 minute CV” – a brief verbal summary of your experience, skills and personal qualities.


Jobcentres can be a good source of information on local temporary/part-time jobs.  Click here for information on Jobcentres in the Swansea area.

Enterprise, Creativity and Web Work

If you’re enterprise-minded or interested in a creative approach to generating opportunities, the Internet offers outlets for all kinds of work and many niche markets.  Just to give you some ideas:

  • Loulabella - An online business designing and making handbag organisers, founded by Laura Ancell whilst studying at Bournemouth University.
  • - Paid one-off jobs and freelance projects. Lots of useful advice on finance, tax, getting the right insurance if you need it, protecting your Intellectual Property rights, and more.
  • If you’re web-savvy, you could offer a range of services from Twitter lessons to design work – websites, photography, videos, logos etc, targeting Small and Medium Size Enterprises (SMEs) whose budgets might not run to the high fees of established design companies.

If you’re thinking of doing anything on a self-employed basis make sure you check out insurance requirements, tax and other legal obligations. You can get advice from business support organisations such as Venture Wales and Business WalesSupport for entrepreneurial students is available on campus too.

Staying safe

There are many excellent resources on the Internet, but if you’re using any online recruitment service make sure you read their terms of business and privacy policy carefully to check what they say about security and the way they handle users’ personal information.

Be wary of things like requests to include confidential information such as bank details in your applications, commission only and door to door selling, or money for training before starting work, because such things might possibly indicate a scam job.  If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!

National Insurance numbers

Everyone who works in the UK needs an NI number.  For information visit:

International Students: 

Please check your right to work in the UK with the amazing team at International @CampusLife. They're here to help you and run drop-ins and appointments to make sure you get your visa restrictions right.