Funding is not automatic, and may come from a variety of sources such as:
- Research Councils: These are public bodies supporting research in UK higher education institutions. You apply for Research Council funding via the institution where you plan to study.
- Individual universities
- Charitable trusts
- Your own savings and earnings
- Various types of loans
- Possibly from an employer in relation to specific professional qualifications
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships: KTPs provide paid opportunities for academics to apply their knowledge to business related projects while undertaking research and gaining management skills and qualifications.
Visit Swansea University's web pages on fees and funding.
Websites offering information on the UK Government Postgraduate Loans Scheme:
- Swansea University
- The Student Room
Graduate Prospects and TARGETpostgrad are excellent starting points to help you research funding sources to apply for:
- Graduate Prospects - includes a link to the Prospects funding guide digital magazine.
Additional useful sources of information:
- The Grants Register 2018: the complete guide to postgraduate funding worldwide. Available in the LIC Study Hall Reference Collection, Call Number: LB2338.G73 2013
- The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding is available to Swansea University staff and current students online via the campus network. The Guide, published by GradFunding, details how to find and apply to alternative sources of funding - especially charities - which make awards to current and prospective graduate students. Charities are an underrated funding resource, and often make awards to students of any subject and any nationality.
- Professional publications such as New Scientist
- www.postgraduatestudentships.co.uk/ - brings together different types of funding opportunities open to potential postgraduates, at both taught and research level
- Scholarship Search - undergraduate and postgraduate funding sources
- Postgrad.com student funding guide
- Family Action’s education grants programme
- Turn2us: services include a searchable database of grant-giving charities
- postgraduatefunding.com/ covers small grants for postgraduate study including: top-up grants, travel bursaries, exchange programme funding, living cost grants, fee waivers and masters funding.