Coronavirus Recovery: advice and latest information

This scheme enables current tier 4 students who are following a course leading to a PhD to be able to stay in the UK for up to 12 months after their course has ended.  Eligible students are given an extra 12 months leave to remain from the expected PhD award date to gain further experience in their chosen field, seek skilled work, or develop plans to set up as an entrepreneur.  On the Doctorate Extension Scheme there are fewer restrictions on the types of work you can do though you are not permitted to work as a Doctor or Dentist in training or a sportsperson (including coaches).

Students must make a visa application from within the UK before being awarded the PhD.  If you are interested in applying for the DES you should aim to start the DES CAS application process just before you have your viva examination.

Please note that it is not until you have been successfully awarded the full PhD award, and we have informed the UKVI of your award that your visa conditions change to that of the DES scheme.  Up until then the standard Tier 4 conditions apply (e.g your work hours are limited).  If for any reason you fail to achieve the PhD award you will not be eligible for the DES.  The University has to inform the UKVI that you did not pass and they will give you a 4 month wrap up period in which to leave the UK.  Whilst on the scheme, if you permanently leave the UK you must inform us so that we can inform the UKVI to curtail the visa.  If you are suspected of breaching any visa conditions whilst on the scheme we are obligated to report this to the UKVI. 

Under the Doctorate Extension Scheme, Swansea University continues to be your sponsor.  As such, we have to maintain regular contact with you to find out how you are getting on and to maintain up to date contact details for you.  We will contact you three times on the scheme at 4 months, 8 months and 11 months into the scheme.  We will most likely call you or send you an email.  If you are residing in Swansea, you may wish to come in to Park Campus MyUniHub and have a face-to-face discussion about your progress on the scheme.  Failure to respond to the contact point communications in a timely manner will result in us withdrawing our sponsorship of you, and your visa will be curtailed by the UKVI.

If you are interested in applying for the Doctorate Extension Scheme, please email  for a DES CAS application form.