Hello and Welcome to Rod Jones Halls! Thank you for choosing accommodation at Swansea University’s Bay Campus. There follows important information relating to your stay.
Due to these unpredictable times of COVID-19 and while the Rod Jones Hall reception and staff are working remotely online, some of this information may not currently apply such as reception opening times, campus facilities and collection of parcels.
Keep reading your emails for the most up-to-date information at this time. Thank you.
The Accommodation Service team are available during “office hours” and 4 RST’s who live on site, evenings and weekends. The mobile number for the RST on duty is 07989 859391 (until midnight only). Reception hours are: Monday – Friday: 09.15 – 20.00 hrs, Saturday and Sunday: 30 - 20.00 hrs. Contact number: 01792 513858.
If the Reception is closed contact The College during office hours: 01792 602922 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, out of office hours (Accommodation questions only) The Tower Information Centre on 01792 606010.
Operates a 24/7 security provision including foot patrols with appropriate use of CCTV. You may contact them at the Tower Information Centre, or on: 01792 606010. Call Security if you experience problems outside of Reception hours such as severe or persistent noise nuisance, anti-social behaviour (including visitors and guests) or illegal activities, including smoking.
Please download the Safezone App to your phone: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/life-on-campus/security-and-safezone/
- Access is available to the common room, block (core), flat front door and bedroom
- Hold key to reader, wait for green light and enter. If you have problems with the card please contact Rod Jones Hall reception or Security after 5.30p.m and throughout the weekend
- Present your card to the reader after exiting your bedroom to ensure it is locked
- There is a charge of £8.50 if your card is lost or broken, so please store it safely
- The emergency evacuation notice is on the inside of your bedroom door
- When the alarm sounds you must always leave the building quickly, whatever the time or weather
- The Assembly point location is in the courtyard in the adjacent Halls, Security staff will assist
- Fire alarm testing happens on a Wednesday morning. During a test you are not required to leave the building, but if the alarms continue to sound, leave the building immediately.
- Our building has a sprinkler system for your safety (bright orange pipe, with head surrounded by a metal cage), do no touch this to avoid serious damage to the building and your possessions (and those of others in the rooms below).
- Electrical Safety – your personal electrical items must meet minimum safety standards, and you should take special care with products bought or brought from other countries as voltages vary, or when using adaptors (which must be earthed). If you are unsure, please ask if you would like an item checked. Unsafe items will be removed by staff.
- Cooking of any kind, and using kettles is strictly forbidden within bedroom
We operate a strictly no smoking policy within our residences, this includes bedrooms.
Smoking is only permitted in designated outside areas (by the cycle store), and is not permitted within 5m of any entrance on Campus.
Please ensure that you close the door when showering and use the vent (fan).
The fan is activated when the light is switched on and can be adjusted by twisting the round central vent.
Please keep your room (especially your bathroom/WC) clean, termly inspections will be undertaken.
The housekeeping team will clean the kitchen once a week and take out rubbish daily (Monday – Friday) – please help them by tidying the kitchen and ensuring the sink, surfaces and floors are clear for them.
- Wifi is available free of charge in Rod Jones Halls. Please select the “Optify” Wi-Fi network.
- Open your web browser and you will be presented with the Optify sign in screen.
- Click on the “Create Account” button, fill in your details and pick your product.
- On completion of registration, make a note of your username and password.
- You will be returned to the Optify sign in screen, use your new username and password.
If you are experiencing any internet or wifi issues, please report this directly to Optify. To do this PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR ROOM, FLAT NUMBER and BUILDING NAME and either telephone 0333 308 0000, email email@example.com, or Twitter: @optifycare or Facebook: fb.me/optifycare.
- There are card operated machines (provided by a private company) at a central laundry located between Llansteffan and Cardigan Halls. If you find the door locked, visit Reception or, if closed, The Tower Information Centre. Cards are issued from a dispenser in the laundry
- Create an account and load money on to the card (which can be done online)
- Other facilities are available such as irons and ironing boards
There is a grocery shop, Refectory, cash machine, Santander Bank and Bar on Campus.
It is important to use the full, correct address, or mail may be returned. A key hanging up by the flat noticeboard gives access to flat mailboxes in the main Common Room.
Parcels can only be collected between 4pm and 8pm (Monday – Friday), 5.30pm – 8pm weekends.
Full name and Swansea University Student ID Number
Rod Jones Halls, Building Name, flat & room number (Cynfig, Tawe, Clun, Dulais)
Swansea University Bay Campus, Fabian Way, Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea, SA1 8EP